In 18 months, there were about 5000 messages that explicitly referred to "netscan.research". Analyzed/coded 952 messages.
- Half discuss groups. 80% of those linking to the Netscan report card for the group, 17% explicitly discuss the group's "health".
- 22% discuss the message's author, such as saying that the author is #1 in the group.
- 31% discuss others, including their stats; 5% of these are "troll checks"
- 48% discuss the Netscan system itself
Some discussion points:
- Helpful for comparisons between competing groups on similar topics
- Reduces costs of monitoring and sanctioning
- Facilitates construction and maintenance of status
- Identifies people who are trolls